Skip to main content

In Praise of Miraculous Life

I have always been a shy person, but when you're in the world, you're no longer a private person. At a time I feel if privacy isn't a myth like any other story? I believe everyone of us is living a story, a fictitious journey, whose every fragment appears to be so real to think otherwise. Somebody rightly said that only fiction reveals the true reality. I don't find any difference between fiction and reality. As Pablo Picaso rightly said that "everything you can imagine is real". What I love about life is not that it is a fixed destination rather a journey, whose direction is seldom commanded or have any particular direction. I believe, my life is already determined to a large degree. The concept of free will is quite mythical. My language, culture, identity, religion, genetics, and environment, etc. are already determined here. I have done nothing to choose between these things which are so integral to my being. My life is determined by many accidental journeys, which were never dreamed or thought by me ever. I never thought to pursue LL.B., LL.M. or Ph.D. Academic was not even in my imagination. But life has its own direction. You may live either as a sole director to command a direction but with little success or you may accept what comes and keep working with love and passion. I was interested in music, theatre, cricket, etc, a typical Indian guy with popular dreams. I always felt being popular is the definition of success until I became acquainted with Lao Tzu and his book. Popularity comes at certain cost. People don't realize this when they choose a life of celebrity. You stop living the moment you start pretending to be a nice guy with fake smiles. Simplicity or happiness can never be advertised or claimed. The moment one claims to be simple, sober, or nice those qualities fade away. I always felt that India does not like people with scholarly bent of mind. Success is defined here with outward achievements. Even if inner happiness or a sense of compassion barely exist in those successful guys. Only those, who are concerned with self interest, are considered as prudent and wise. I have seen many people around me who like to be called as practical. I have  not yet understood what does it mean? Every person has the blend of ideals and practices. One cannot be devoid of ideas or ideals just like one cannot live without action.


My journey is defined not by what I have achieved. In fact, I have failed so many times in so many ways that whatever little fortunes have come in my way are miraculous. Albert Einstein rightly said that "there are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle".

I believe in the latter part of the sentence. Everything is miraculous, I believe. The people you are acquainted with; the opportunities to feel and live is wonderfully blissful, at a time, suffering is quite real. But to feel the sunshine of morning, the chirping and tweeting of existence are quite soothing. I love to observe the power of healing, which is an integral part of nature. We humans are week in memory so that we are able to forget the miseries and to embrace the freshness of existence. I don't believe in dreams now. It makes me too anxious to forget the present for a distant future, which may or may not come in the way I think. It's better to feel every single leap, every single breath than to carry on the burdens of past or the expectations of unknown future. Living in the moment is the most arduous task to achieve. We humans are so imaginative. At a time, it proves to be boon and curse as well. All our sufferings are related to mental attitude. Stoics of Greco-Roman civilizations taught me this lesson like Buddha already shared this wisdom with humanity much earlier. Especially, meaninglessness is the biggest challenge for today's human's lives once the basic needs are fulfilled. I think, only way to approach this problem is to silently observe our finite existence; Heidegger was perhaps right to suggest that the true freedom could be available for those who are ready to face their own nothingness. In his words, "If I take death into my life, acknowledge it, and face it squarely, I will free myself from the anxiety of death and the pettiness of life - and only then will I be free to become myself". 


I know, quite often, I write bit of complex sentences. It's, of course, not for the sake intellectualizing things, but due to my inability to write it more simple and clear. Good writers mirror the world in their small world of words. Thanks for reading. Good night!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meeting Justice Rohinton Nariman in a Sunday Morning

Aristotle once wrote in his Nicomachean Ethics that there are four significant virtues for human beings, namely Prudence, Temperance, Justice, and Courage. There are a few judges who have courage and sense of justice, both. Hon'ble Mr. Justice Rohinton Nariman has been truly an exemplar judge and erudite historian, theologian and philologist, a great scholar of music as well as a courageous and meticulous jurist of our country. He did his Master of Laws from Harvard Law School in 1980-81 and taught by one of the finest jurists of the last century, Roberto Unger. He became Senior Advocate in 1993 in the age of 37 and also served as Solicitor General of India in 2011 before he was elevated as a judge of the Supreme Court of India in 2014. He delivered many landmark judgments, including Shreya Singhal v. Union of India. There are a few people with whom time moves too fast, but to count that experience takes ages. Justice Rohinton Nariman is one of those great jurists with whom a meet

Same Sex Marriage Verdict: Apolitical Politics of Court

Every judgment of the Constitutional court solves and unsolves certain fundamental questions. Court often takes two steps forward and one step backward (Shklar). Navtej Johar was rightly celebrated as a progressive judgment which recognised same sex relationships on the touchstone of constitutional morality. In a way, judgment progressively explored the colonial and post-colonial politics and reviewed Section 377, IPC from the perspective of constitutional morality emanating from the "objective purposive interpretation",  a concept devised by Justice Aharon Barack, a former judge of Israel Supreme Court. NALSA judgment already went ahead with the recommendations to broaden the scope of reservation policy in India to allow the constitutional protection of sexual minorities. The latest judgment has attracted widespread criticism from the intellectuals. Many of them have argued that the Court has not taken its responsibility in protecting the rights of sexual minorities. There i

The Rhythm of Law: A Book Review

Book Cover of the Book Law is the subject and object of curiosity since the ancient civilizations started its journey of contemplation about the order within the nature; its mysterious paths inspired the germination of metaphysics. Initially, human's mode of existence lived as instinctual life as per the call of nature. Instincts were primarily used as a medium for survival and to receive the call of wisdom from the “order of nature”. Humans are primarily one of the modes of expression of the nature, as Spinoza calls it attributes which express the essence of God and modes which are derived from the essence of God or nature (Spinoza, Ethics). The doorway of all the laws, as brooding presence of harmony, may be received if one is alert to recognize its call. Prof. Raman Mittal has penned a beautiful book titled “The Rhythm of Law”. The uniqueness of the book is its potentialities to express the inexpressible wisdom. Martin Heidegger in his Magnum Opus, Being and Time, expresses the